Homepage Forums Body tracking Do we even need Kinects? (Tracking with Webcams)

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    KieeeKieee
    Participant

I was searching around today for Full Body Tracking solutions and I came across this website. There, the writer talks about a company called “Extreme Reality” which has a free SDK that supposedly turns your average webcam into something similar to a Kinect with “the power to capture a three-dimensional range of movement”.

At first, I was considering undertaking the project of using the SDK to create Full Body Tracking for VR but I’m a game developer – not a software engineer. So, I considered dropping the idea on Reddit or Discord but then I thought why not throw the idea to the creator of Driver4VR, whom, would already have experience in this field.

The idea is that, a single webcam is inferior to a Kinect. Even with my local prices of $80ea a Kinect 2.0 would be far better. However, according to this post multiple Kinects are not a reasonable solution. (At the very least you would need multiple USB 3.0 cards, one for each Kinect – as well as a beast PC to boot) However Webcams are different. They have far less overhead, and your average system could run several of them without too much trouble.

I would love to hear your feedback on this topic. Specifically why it is or isn’t reasonable, or even possible.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

their site seem to be down.
    right now an option seem to be neural networks.
    i tested one network and vrchat and they give some promising results but too soon to talk about 😉

Aaron ChenAaron Chen
    Participant

I’m still waiting for Kinect V1+V2 solution haha

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.