Homepage Forums New feature Multiple Kinects possible?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Fran Moglandonskatardude10
    Participant

One works pretty good, does your driver support two for even better tracking?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

it will.

oldmanbluntzoldmanbluntz
    Participant

Has this feature been added yet, and if not, do you have a possible ETA on it? The new beta 3 works pretty good, i got a stuttering issue with my Kinect v2 to work out, but it would track the colored balls so much better with multiple kinects, well, at least open up the playable area some more. Thank you for your hard work on this software. It’s pretty awesome.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

prbably q1 next year.

i was wondering about using kinect one mounted on ceiling. this should allow 360 tracking quite nicely and avoid multiple kinect calibration.

LuaghaLuagha
    Participant

If it can provide similar accuracy then the ceiling mount for 360tracking (much like Nolo has done) sounds like a much better approach to start with – two KinectOne with two PC adaptor cables ends up being a cost 3/4 of the way to just buying an Oculus!

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

you cannot connect 2 x Kinect One to PC. also I am not sure how combinations will work. That will be subjct to tests. The problem with 360 is very narrow FOV.
    I checked yesterday with One how much area would it cover pointing down to see my head if it is on my ceiling which is 2.5 meters. It would be only 1 meter so not much.
    But if someone can mount it higher then 2.5 meters then this is definitively option I am only not sure if many people would have it. Basically in my country most flats and even homes they are 2.5 meters high.

Greg

LuaghaLuagha
    Participant

Yes, that is true for Australia as well – 2.5metres is a standard… so if it gives such a small play area at that height perhaps you’d have more people trying the feature with low ceilings and getting frustrated (then complaining) than people actually benefitting :<

HalkosuojaHalkosuoja
    Participant

Could something like this help with distance problem? Nyko Zoom (Kinect) Xbox 360

ear0waxear0wax
    Participant

you cannot connect 2 x Kinect One to PC.

Could run the second Kinect one on a remote pc or computer stick of some kind, would lighten the CPU load also on the main pc.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. but I am not sure if this would be interesting for people to get another pc.

jamieukguy147jamieukguy147
    Participant

One kinect is causing 35% CPU usage and 100% while gaming

Two kinect would be a nightmare

oldmanbluntzoldmanbluntz
    Participant

If you were to add the functionality to stream another Kinect v2 from a pc to work alongside the one on the host machine to run 2 kinects, i’m sure it would get used by some. If it’s not a lot of work that is. Too bad libfreenect2 wasn’t for windows, as it supports multiple Kinect v2’s on one machine. Up to 5 apparently.

https://discourse.vvvv.org/t/multiple-kinect-2-on-one-machine/13011

oldmanbluntzoldmanbluntz
    Participant

Or even a hybrid Kinect v1 and Kinect v2 system? Is that possible I wonder?

Participant

The problem guys is the CPU grunt 2 kinects would cause… Its to much power for even a top of the range CPU.

I’m at 50% cpu with just kinect one 2700k @4.5ghz… You would probably need 2 x seperate usb pic 3.0 cards as well.

Maybe kinect and 2x PS cameras behind you?

ziddanziddan
    Participant

Halkosuoja and Greg: about the kinect zoom lens, i ordered one and it doesnt work well, the distortion seems to make the tracking unreliable, it took a lot of tries before it would even calibrate and in vrchat it was almost impossible to bind right since the trackers were hopping around noticably.

Im lucky in that i have the space to set up my kinect almost 3 meters away from the center of my play area so i can run without the zoom and it works good.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by ziddanziddan.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi.
    yes i also got lens but they make tracking quality very bad.

Participant

Do yourself a favour and just buy a Windows mixed reality headset and be happy 🙂

kgothieveskgothieves
    Participant

Multiple Kinect V1 could be handled and they are much cheaper. Would love to hook up 3 and see where that goes.

Participant

Dream on. No chance, not even two

Far to cpu heavy

Buy a MR hmd

Greig WillamsGreig Willams
    Participant

Not sure when multiple kinects will be supported, but I, for one, would definately use this as I have both the CPU headroom and 2nd kinect.

Dan The DragonDan The Dragon
    Participant

worked for me using two xbox 360 kinects, of course I needed custom firmware

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

https://github.com/OpenKinect/libfreenect2/issues/715

It can be done with a usb 3.0 pci express cards but you will need a powerful machine to do so.

You will need different USB controllers for each of the kinects. At least that is what I have found from my research.

I am also hoping for something like this https://youtu.be/1bodwMQ2zv8.

Where you use another computer to send data to the main machine.

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0oviurS5Mw This video shows 2 kinects on one system.

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

Another idea might be this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvfGFDpX5FY which is a kinect like camera with a computer built in. Its currently $150 but I hope that it goes down and is used with trackers to improve vr even more.

Danny VengX-90
    Participant

I’m 100% interested in multi-kinect support. I have two Kinects and ‘maybe’ the CPU headroom. If the brunt of the processing can be offloaded to another workstation I have two 12-core servers waiting to eat the numbers.

TooandrewTooandrew
    Participant

ditto i have a v1 and a v2 and a couple powerful pcs

MotoFckr9kMotoFckr9k
    Participant

Getting a second Kinect for colour tracking would be really cool. My PC should be able to handle that, or I will make it able to handle it.
    I am guessing that once you get a second Kinect to properly connect to a computer, implementing a simple algorithm to use the data of two Kinects together should be fairly straight forward; At least with colour tracking.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by MotoFckr9kMotoFckr9k.
Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.