Homepage Forums Announcements Release 3.1.0 – CPU improvements

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Hi,
    In this release:

1. CPU improvements for colour tracking (about 25%).
    2. Ability to select external controller for Leap Motion (e.g. ps move).
    3. Configuration of PS Move: rotation 90 or 180, button diagram, touchpad emulation behaviour.
    4. PseudoVive build in Driver4VR
    5. Fix for log generation.

Question, issue – use forum. I will reply 🙂

Greg

JonnyJonny
    Participant

Regarding number 2, thanks Greg. As well as all the other improvements.

sfex3championsfex3champion
    Participant

Will test this within the next few days I was the user with 100% cpu usage in last build. Thank you for updating

jamieukguy147jamieukguy147
    Participant

View post on imgur.com

Still high CPU for me 2700k 4.7ghz

xromatistosxromatistos
    Participant

happy new year greg and all the people here who support this!!exchited for the new psmove features ty very much

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@amieukguy147,
    is this only on pure body tracking? if yes. this is basically what kinect is using.

@xromatistos

thanks. u too !!

Greg

Participant

Just tested your latest build greg.

Love some of the new features like the hmd color tracking and button mapping also

Bug- Whenever I try hmd color tracking with the kinect body tracking the hmd color calibration just constantly say calibration failed. Even when the psvr is so perfectly place in the box with good lighting.

This same color calibration works whenever I do led hands tracking and hmd color tracking but in this mode the cpu usage is too high unfortunately and even on the color calibration stage you can see delays in the camera movement. This is exactly how it works in the game due to high cpu usage.

I honestly don’t know what you could do for the cpu problem gregg maybe its just my pc but for me kinect body tracking with moves with led off but buttons mapped this is how I achieve smoothness currently until ps moves ledd way is made smoother.

Positives – hmd led tracking once fixed I feel would be perfect for racing sims or any cockpit sims I hope you make this perfect.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi,
    in colour calibration stage I would not worry about delays. because you simply put colour in front of rectangle. after that you can close window.

if you using kinect for head and body calibration then you actually do’t need calibrate… because it is same tracking system. i know it is far from perfect now from user interface communication.

Regarding led tracking quality, can you tell where problem is as not clear for me.

Also please let me know which versino of Kinect do you have?

Gre

Participant

I have the kinect one

Head tracking – led psvr
    Hand tracking – ps moves
    Body tracking yes
    This works but is extremely slow with ultra high cpu usage. I passed all thr calibration stages in this mode and it works fine but too delayed to actually play games like this

Head tracking – led psvr
    Hand tracking – kinect hand trackers
    Body tracking yes
    This is how I can get smooth gameplay however atm when I go to color calibrate the psvr it always fails on this mode no matter what I do

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

sorry, i can’t track PSVR colour right now. Please use skeleton tracking for head.
    Can you try also without body tracking and let me know how this setup works?

Do you ahve Kinect One or 360 ?

Greg

Participant

Okay tried again everything with psvr hmd tracking.

Images show everything to be fair tried once with different settings.

Psmove leds are your problem here as soon as you switch those on the cpu usage jumps massively hence delaying my game.

With the 30% cpu usage setting on first image I can honestly say that is as smooth as butter and everything working good on this setting with kinect head and kinect hands.

With the 90% cpu usage it is hugely delayed and impossible to play

Hope this helps

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

can you tell me if u have kinect one or 360?
    sorry if already asked 🙂

Participant

I’m the same Greg, really high CPU usage 2700k @4.5ghz

Will you ever be able to reduce the load? Or have you reached your limit

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Yes. I will work on it now.

Greg

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i went down from 30 to 10 on my pc with kinect one. will release something here in couple of hours to test cause it crashes now even after decent time of gameplay and I need find this bug.
    so depending your cpu it might either help or not.
    however if your current requirement was 600% it will go down to 200% though still showing 100%… however I hope it will be not so bad 🙂

Participant

Great 🙂

By the way I bought a old ps3 controller with gyro calibration and it’s much better.

I wouldn’t advise anyone to use new ps4 controllers as they are not good!

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i think with new controllers, psvr takes advantage of stereo camera and is making correction of yaw from this. it is also possible for kienct.

Participant

Are PS move controllers the best controller you can buy for use with Driver4vr?

I read vive use 1000hz tracking and PS move controllers are 120hz

Is there a better controllers to buy somewhere?

I’m guessing Bluetooth can’t use high frequency

🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by jamieukguy147jamieukguy147.
    Participant

Kinect One +psvr +new ps moves with no magmometer

Thanks greg

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi,
    please find version wiht improved cpu.
    for kinect one i got cpu reduced by 70% with head/skeleton and hand/colour tracking.
    for kinect 360 i got only few percect. no much improvement but you can clearly see it is there.

in colour calibration there is check to disable ROI that will turn it off and make your CPU go higher.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dVik5gPL3-IBUiRfBerBHnp1M30QPzM2/view?usp=sharing

I am very curious of your feedback !!!

Greg

Participant

You work fast Greg!!… I will test tomorrow… On the jack Daniels tonight.

🙂

Participant

Hi Greg… Just tested.

With these settings

View post on imgur.com

CPU has dropped like you said about 70%!!!!

View post on imgur.com

My question is though… Led tracking of controllers is much better than skeleton tracking,?

Led light bulb controllers
    About 40-50% cpu

I haven’t had chance to test controllers, as this update stopped them from working again, but I will redo PSMove calibration 🙂

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by jamieukguy147jamieukguy147.
    Participant

Led bulb tracking seems much better from testing than skeleton, which is unplayable for most games.

I would really focus on the tracking of controllers.. A option box in Driver4vr menu you can select on and off for controller placement for arrow games and option off for normal games like shooting with guns etc.

If you can just get the led bulb tracking of controllers improved this would be brilliant.

As an example, try and play the game eleven table tennis and you will see how bad tracking is

Keep up the good work!

Participant

cpu usage on LED moves

Sorry greg but mines stayed the same 90%ish

Edit: just read the disable ROI thing brb checking again

• This reply was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by sfex3championsfex3champion.
    Participant

ROI disable definitely made it a little smoother but I’m still at 90%ish CPU usage. Still nowhere near the smoothness you can achieve with no LED move trackers.

Also being able to half use the moves now I see the drift on these new set of move controllers without magnometer is horrible i have to reset position every 3 mins almost this is not your fault ofcourse but kinda makes me lose hope xD at least I can get box vr working with hand trackers it is my favorite title currently

D TXcalibur
    Participant

I had a better experience in comparison. It is definitely way way better than first beta. Thank Greg for implementing the solutions/improvement and i’m looking forward to try the reflector and larger POI balls. 😀

Skeleton tracking is good for short to long range. It’s the less precise and hence affects orientation of controllers when swinging around 360 but with CPU at ~50%, plenty of power left for the game to run smooth. Even if the skeleton is messed up, it recovers quickly. It is prone to occlusion problem when limbs/body overlaps. Ex: bow and arrow, dual yield anything at any angle. Good for all games in the lab but don’t expect precision.

ROI disabled is the next more CPU intensive one @ ~70%. Great for seating position. It is range sensitive: precise and jitter at short range and shaking a lot/loose tracking for a while/or permanently at long range. Tracking is worse during fast movement but handles dual yield guns pretty well (less prone to occlusion problem). Therefore, it’s good for controllers precision but not HMD(constant jitter still).

ROI enabled is the most CPU intensive one @ 80-90%%. It is smoother than the last one and the best of all. But since CPU is almost maxed out, when the game become more CPU intensive, tracking/buttons will freeze/glitch sometime temporarily, sometimes permanently. Bulb range issue does affect the tracking negatively still.

Participant

Does Driver4vr use all 4 cores of a CPU or just 2?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi. few points.

1. for skeleton tracking all CPU is taken by kinect runtime. driver does not perform intensive calculations.

2. if you have led tracking low cpu will be only when all ball colours properly calibrated and tracked!!! if even one colour is not tracked then driver needs to find it so instead of searching in previous region it must scan again whole image. what I have seen it happens very occasionally during gameplay.
    i don’t think that using ROI should affect quality of trackng but not 100% sure.

3. if you use only colour tracking (no skeleton tracking) then kinect runtime does not start processing skeleton therefore only CPU used is by driver to detect and process led balls.
    if you use skeleton tracking for headset and led for hands compared to led only scenarion then kinect will start processing skeleton but on the other hand we will not have driver processing of one ball that is used to track head.
    i have not tested which one is better.

i still have few ideas, not so classic as using roi so we will see.
    anyway I think this one is good for release as I can see no extra problems were found.

Greg

D TXcalibur
    Participant

Skeleton tracking alone is playable in a lot of titles with the right expectations(PS move service/PSVR level and not WMR/Oculus/Vive level). Most people would be thrilled to be able to play VR with their old hardware/tech for such a low cost thanks to Greg.

The trade off for precision is CPU load for colour tracking. Precision is only crucial for games that requires very accurate aiming: pushing multiple small buttons on virtual console/keypad consecutively, picking things up off the ground, less forgiving shooters like Arizona Sunshine,etc. At this the current state, it is already playable.

That’s my 2 cents after trying skeleton and colour tracking with PS Move controllers 🙂

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

thanks for your comment. i really appreciate!
    I found that skeleton can be also very accurate as far as you keep you hand bit away from body.

the best effect with ps move is when you hold it in hand in way that ball is actually hold in fingers, it is when fingers end. it is not natural way but you can get used to. in such scenario even on kinect 360 it was very precise.
    but only if you have both hands in front and each hand on proper side of body.

i have idea about making virtual position of hands a bit modified to physical and in fact you will achieve bigger are with limited range of hand move. i will release this in another week cause now I want to fix few things first.

i am thinking also about methods to reduce cpu for coloru trakcing but don’t have nothin special right now.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.