Homepage Forums Head (only head) tracking PSMoveService 3rd controller

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Marlon SmithMarlon Smith
    Participant

My Setup: GearVR on Riftcat and PSMoveService with four PSeye cameras and 3 PSMove controllers – one for head tracking and two for left and right hands.

I am using two Windows computers to run this setup:
    Computer #1 runs PSMoveService, FreePieBridge and FreePie as instructed in tutorials.
    Computer #2 runs Riftcat and Driver4VR

I have followed many tutorials and forums online to set up TCP and UDP port forwarding over ethernet between Computer #1 to Computer #2 and succeeded in getting the right and left hand PSMove controllers working in both PSMoveConfigTool and Riftcat/Driver4VR.

The third PSMove controller for head tracking lights up when PSMoveFreePieVRBridge.exe runs on Computer #1 and reports “FreePieMoveClient – Acquired controller 0”. On Computer #2 when I run PSMoveConfigTool, I can see the third PSMove controller move around in ‘Test Tracking Pose’ just fine. Everything works as expected up to this point.

Then when I run Riftcat and/or Driver4VR, the 4 PSEye Cameras do not appear in SteamVR and I have no positional tracking, only orientation tracking from the GearVR headset.

In Riftcat, my ‘Tracking source’ is set to ‘Phone Orientation and FreeTrack position’ and in Driver4Vr my Head tracking is set to ‘Free Track’.

I noticed Driver4VR on Computer #2 launches PSMoveService even though I already have it running on Computer #1, and requires a local instance of PSMoveService to be open in order to even show my PSMove controllers which are connected to PSMoveService on Computer #2. This leaves the impression that the current build of Driver4VR doesn’t support a remote computer hosting PSMoveService & FreePieBridge/FreePie. Am I wrong or is it possible?

From what I understand, Driver4VR now includes PSMoveSteamVRBridge built-in and so PSMoveSteamVRBridge is no longer needed as a separate install. I was curious and installed PSMoveSteamVRBridge anyway and tested it: 4 PSEye cameras did appear in SteamVR but unfortunately I still had no positional tracking on the third PSMove controller. So I uninstalled PSMoveSteamVRBridge.

Any suggestions?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Marlon SmithMarlon Smith.
    Marlon SmithMarlon Smith
    Participant

oops that should read “I noticed Driver4VR on Computer #2 launches PSMoveService even though I already have it running on Computer #1, and requires a local instance of PSMoveService to be open in order to even show my PSMove controllers which are connected to PSMoveService on COMPUTER #1”

Marlon SmithMarlon Smith
    Participant

Never mind – I got it working! FreePieBridge and FreePie simply needed to be running on the same PC as RiftCat and Driver4VR (Computer #2). I made the mistake of running FreePieBridge & FreePie on the remote PC (Computer #1) with PSMoveService.

Obvious mistake for those who know how FreePieBridge and FreePie work under the hood, but not so obvious for the rest of us who are new.

Greg, can you add a toggle option (check box?) in Driver4VR to disable the automatic launching of a local instance of PSMoveService for those of us who are running PSMoveService on a remote pc? It’s an annoyance 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Marlon SmithMarlon Smith.
    Peter HøgPeter Høg
    Participant

How did you get the psmove controllers working with Driver4VR? My controllers wont show up in Driver4VR on Computer2. I have Psmoveservice running on Computer1. I can get postional tracking working in Driver4VR with Freetrack using PsmoveFreePiebridge release 17 which allows connecting via IP address. FreepieBridge and FreePie is Running on Computer 2 which is also running Vridge. I dont understand why PsmoveService has to run on computer2 and that Driver4VR automatically starts it. Which version of Driver4VR are you using Marlon Smith? I am using 5.3.0.4. How have you set up Driver4VR settings?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.