Homepage Forums General wiimote and leap motion?

Tagged: 

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Du1g0Du1g0
    Participant

hi,

is it possible to use wiimotes with Leap4vr? for buttons and orientation?

thanks in advance

AlopexAlopex
    Participant

I’m fairly certain that you can sync a wiimote to your PC via bluetooth and so you should be able to map the buttons within Driver4VR if I’m not mistaken.

Shall give this a shot soon. 🙂

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Yes, and orienation is different topic. I have some plans for wii and ps move but it is for later 😉

AlopexAlopex
    Participant

Terrific. Thanks Greg

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

u really mean terrific ?

do you use wii mote plus in any way now for vr ?

AlopexAlopex
    Participant

Hi Greg, I haven’t tried using a wiimote plus for VR yet, though I’ve tinkered with them in Windows previously using an app called WiinRemote a few years back and they were pretty good.

I suspect that if combined with the hand tracking of the leap motion, it could be a solid contender for vive controller emulation, even if only for mapping of the wiimote buttons.

What do you think?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by AlopexAlopex.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 7 months ago by AlopexAlopex.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i am new to wiimote but as I can see there is way to make it work without major drift. unless you have IR leds but it is yet another solution.
    perhaps with Kinect and one IR led we could make something.
    At the moment I got one wiimote plus and do some tests and will see what can be done.
    Greg

Du1g0Du1g0
    Participant

Hi Greg….

With wiimote (and Nunchuk) you can get Pitch, Yaw and Rotation, so with this you can get orientation – Kinect/Leap for position

it has been done with OSVR – but that software is not really user friendly like Driver4vr is….

check out OSVRFUSION

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjLldfDK2ls&t=1s

with your software I believe something similar could be achieved…I hope 😉

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

How about this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Virtoba-S1-Daydream-Controller-9-Axis-Gyro-Bluetooth-4-2-RTL8762A-Compatible-with-Universal-VR-Headset/32827951480.html

We have really few options here.
    First of all is hand tracking and I can see Kinect here.

Then we have orientaiton and again we have few options:
    1. PS Move
    2. Wii
    3. Daydream
    4. FreeTrack

I prefer Daydream cause it has best quality based on description. Howeer I did not try this.
    Wii needs IR to track Yaw otherwise there will be drift. It has no magnetometer… There is also Nunchak that has only acceleration data so it would be pain really.
    PS Move also has good rotation quality + BULB that can be tracked precisely.

I am personally to do Daydream. What do u think?

JnaJna
    Participant

Hi Greg,

I believe the PS Move / PSNavi controllers are the most popular since most people bought them recently (I’m included) to use them has VR Controllers. Also the Daydream controller doesn’t have the trigger button so it would need to emulated somehow to work with steamvr.

In summary my choice would be Leap Motion + PSNavi 🙂

Du1g0Du1g0
    Participant

Hi Greg,

As jna has pointed out, there is no trigger button…otherwise the daydream controller has the best sensors

Wouldnt it be possible to compensate for drift with wiimote via the kinect/leap sensor?

Ps navi and move are shpported via psmoveservices…

They do work well but, psmoveservices is complicated and buggy if you get one aspect of the long setup wrong.

How about gear vr controllers? I would imagine the specs are similar to daydream controller, and it has a trigger 🙂 ( i think).

I still like wiimote, but the coding would, as you pointed out probably be a pain.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Yes. Daydream does not have button but it has… volume up and down that can be used as trigger 🙂

Then if we have to make decision if we rely solely on Kinect to track hands or need something extra.

If we have only Kinect. it will lose tracking at many points. E.g. when you move hands close to body and also many different situations. I can improve a bit standard skeleton tracking but only to small extent.

If we get PS Move and take only (!) orienation from it but we will get position based on BULB and Kinect then we will get very realiable setup – I would say it might be killer.

Then we have another option again to use IR camera and a reflecting tape attached to controller like daydream.

If we use wii then we need to leave IR Camera clean without any tape to allow it read IR light on the Kinect to fix Yaw.

So number of things to consider. Really not sure which one is best… actually my favroite is PS Move Service to track orientaiton and kinect to track BULB and position.

First I am gonna make clean hand tracking based on Kinect + Bluetooth controller without orientation 🙂 Actually orientation is calculated based on hand position and few other factors and it surprisingly allows play few titles. This will be a most basic VR I guess.

But body tracking first 🙂

Greg

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

After some consideration here

wiimote and leap motion?

I realized that with Kinect all we can get is tracking when your hands are quite away from body. Not sure if that is what you want. You would have quite limited tracking with Kinect – it was not designed for that…

I propose to make simple fix that will make possible to have tracker on the top of head so at least you can turn around 360.

?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.