Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    PodPod
    Participant

Hey everyone.

Has anyone one got any feedback on how much one is better than the other for head tracking?
    I’m currently using a 360 kinect for skeleton tracking but I’m wondering if its worth swapping to colour tracking instead to smooth it all the jitter and jumps.
    (I’d still want skeleton tracking for my hands)

Cheers

PodPod
    Participant

So heres my feedback on Light v Skeleton

Light orb gives a much smoother movement however with my setup it has much less range than skeleton. Once I walk 3m from the kinect then it loses both my head light and my PsMove lights.
    However for a seated experience then light is really the only option!

So looks like I’ll use light orb for stuff like elite and skeleton for anything requiring room scale.

Cheers

Pod

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

did you look in colour calibration why colour is not tracked ?
    is it too small or lost due colour filter ?

PodPod
    Participant

Ooh, not sure. My moves are charging atm. Will try again in a bit.

PodPod
    Participant

it just says error no points

PodPod
    Participant

I might try manually increasing the colour range. Maybe at 3m+ it’s just having trouble seeing the exact colour from the calibration.
    I calibrated at 1m. Should I have calibrated from further back?

PodPod
    Participant

Greg,

Can you take a look at these screen shots and advise? I’ve opened the range on all 3 values. But it still losses the orb at close and far range. At far range it tends to flicker in and out rather than just lose tracking altogether. In game this just means it jitters all over the shop which is unusable.

The first image is it correctly tracking. The second is a bit closer and the tracking has been lost.

Cheers

Pod

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PodPod
    Participant

@greg

Hey Greg. Did you see this post? Any thoughts?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi. sorry.
    exactly how close and far it is? i will test.

PodPod
    Participant

@greg
    I can double check tonight but it was about 80cm-100cm in that image. At that range it can’t detect it all. Maybe that’s just too close.
    However Once it gets about 4m away I get the same error message but it flickers between that and being detected constantly.

I’m using a 360 kinect with a sunglasses lens over the camera. I tried Turing off the room lights but it didn’t have any effect.

Cheers

PodPod
    Participant

@greg

Ok I have exact values. It fails at closer than 45cm and further than 2m50cm

Cheers

Pod

PodPod
    Participant

@Greg

Did you look into this? Is it a limitation of the kinects camera or can the range be increased somehow?

Cheers

Pod

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi.
    i don’t think it can work closer. if you want to make it work far away you might consider getting POI ball and put it on PS Move.

PodPod
    Participant

@greg

I wasn’t bothered about closer. I only did that as it gave the same error and I thought it might help you diagnose if there were issues.

What is a POI ball? Why will it help at range? Is it different to the glow balls on the moves already? Are they just not bright enough? I tried with the lights out and it didn’t make a difference.

Cheers

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. they are less bright but you just calibrate different saturation range. it still works.

PodPod
    Participant

@greg

Not sure that’ll help. The light ball I use for head tracking is dimmer than the move ones and has the same range. Is there a guide on what the values you can adjust are? I tried making them much wider but it didn’t appear to have any effect.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.