Homepage Forums New feature samsung gear vr controller and not daydream controller

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    jose yoctan leyva romanyoctan
    Participant

Is it possible to use samsung gear VR controls and not draydream controls?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi. i was not able to resolve completely how it works.
    here is a project.
    i extracted data that seem to be related to orientation but cannot decode it. if someone can help resolve orientation data that would be really great.

n0p0n3n0p0n3
    Participant

I Just found this: http://jsyang.ca/hacks/gear-vr-rev-eng/
    they seem to have a webbluetooth demo running that has access to the entire controller. They even metion what I think is your attempt at one part. They apparently reverse engineered the “driver” from the gear vr apk. Hope this helps, I’m hoping for 2 of these to finish my diy setup! These controllers seem to be the best option for a vive controller clone other than a diy one with arduino.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. that is really cool work!
    however right now I can see on youtube that it has even problems with pitch and roll. not only yaw. i will look on it closer.

by the way, this guy refers also to my open source attempt which I did like 6 months ago 🙂

n0p0n3n0p0n3
    Participant

Oh, I saw it had some problems with orientation, but I didn’t realize it was that bad. He did say it was just a quick attempt, so maybe it’ll get better, or it’ll be enough info for you to be able to finish your project. I imagine these controllers with leap motion or psmove services tracking ball on a strap like vive knuckles controller will be THE Vive/Oculus alternative for people who can’t afford the $100 apiece replacement controllers.

$40 for 2 gear VR controllers
    $10-70 for Riftcat/Cardboard (I know only 60fps but good enough to start)
    $100 for PSMove Setup (ps eye cameras, cables, hub)
    altogether about $160 for almost everything but the pc (i’d purchased a dell poweredge 2950 gen 3 with 2 3.16Ghz quadcores and 8gb ram for $125, just need to buy the gpu im saving up and my WHOLE bill of sale will be ~$500 instead of just $500 for the headset and peripherals)

Note: i’m aware that this setup is restricted to 60fps and likely won’t be outputing 2k/4k, but im a minimalist so its fine for me, but YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR, don’t expect 90fps 4k antialiasing or anything high end

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i think that should work but cannot focus on it right now.
    the only problem I found during my attempt was a bit delay between button and actual reaction to that button. it was really annoying as you can accept some lag in move. but when you have lag in button reaction it is not.

Meekaaeel JonesMeekaaeel Jones
    Participant

I was hoping it would be possible to resolve this through the GearVR by connecting one controller through the headset and one on PC as left and right. I was also hoping to add Leap Motion with tool tracking on… Not sure if this suggestion will help but I am hoping to figure out a way…

Perhaps if Vridge accepts the inputs that way?

I think this could be achievable once the Oculus Quest SDK is available (if it becomes available)…

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i think you wrote same question. basically it is all possible to som extent.

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

Hi i posted the other day saying i was running some tests seemed i was wrong sorry

1. i searched via Bluetooth on my surface & loan and behold i found the VR controller listed 🙂 (i was testing this on my mac before with boot camp might have been flaky Bluetooth drivers,

2. i managed to connect via Bluetooth on my surface and proceeded to the tests site where you can run a test and all ran fine on there through the surface so i installed steam steamvr kinnect software & driver4vr get them up and running selected virtual tracker and picked tracker manager and then enabled gear vr controller i updated the list and there it was “gearvr(Code)” listed i then proceeded to test but no keys buttens were passing through 🙁

3. i noticed in devices area where u would add device the connection keeps flipping from paired to connecting like its dropping connection every second and only occurs when you have the driver4vr running it seems stable until you actually press the start driver4vr button on the software then the connection starts flipping?

this may just be something my surface is doing ill test more one i get my Bluetooth adapter from online

Thanks Joe

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

I should have said it would even be great just to have the buttons working on this as i have been using the kinnect for hand moment so this would enable things like grabbing objects as you would using a wii,

Is this possible? im not to fussed to get moment working just buttons?

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

Hi Greg

just wondering i seen earlier you posted that you got some stuff working with the gear vr remote be it laggy was this on PC and was it using a standard USB receiver was there any special work required for your pc to start seeing the signal IE Butten presses,

This reminds me of the days going back when i was setting up my first tv remote to work with a media center on pc and had to use a application to intercept the signal on a serial port and then you could log that signal and pass it over to software that would run the commands was a great feeling once it was all running,

Don’t think Bluetooth works the same but since it does pair I’m guessing the signal should be open for interpretation?

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

I really am confusing my self here so i also ordered a daydream controller as well and it also reacted the same way on my surface Bluetooth and again the mac does not see any of the 3 devices oculus go controller, gear vr & daydream, (But this is definutly a mac bootcamp issue)

Surface sees all 3 & can add 2 of them in Driver4vr list but no button presses being detected on there which i find weird i still have my Bluetooth adaptor on route and hopefully this will get delivered soon, so i can plug it in to my VR pc

Iv watched Greig’s video and watched him pair the daydream controller up to windows 10 so i know it works,

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

And the saga continues slowly but surly im beginning to think this is not as straight forward as made out to be!

i am awaiting my USB Bluetooth 4.0 adaptor still arriving however

i went out and bought a USB 2.1 Bluetooth adaptor apparently standard Yes and guess what you guessed it Didn’t work all 3 controllers NOT showing up in Bluetooth search manager 🙁

That sucks! so the surface sees them but desktop is not with a USB Bluetooth adaptor i didn’t see anywhere in the guides mentioning what type of Bluetooth adaptor this stuff requires to be honest who knows the usb Bluetooth 4.0 probably will not pick up nothing to i don’t know,

I’m a bit annoyed because i am now an owner of a daydream, gear vr and an oculus go controller as according to the guide it would be nice and easy if you have a Bluetooth adaptor No mention of the model

Can someone highlight me on the requirements to get these controllers to a pc what Bluetooth receiver if its that do we need here?

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

ok I see why these controllers are not working they are LE protocol low energy none compatible with anything below Bluetooth 4.0 which is in the likes of tablets phones and stuff luckly I have one on route for the pc lets see if this is any good

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by joe gormanlyjoeontherun.
    Attachments:
    joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

This is interesting, BT4.0 arrived today successfully added both gear vr and daydream and both saying paired and connected! however once you load Driver4vr it identity’s both as being added 🙂 however hit preview and you get nothing no movement no data so this was on par with my surface bluetooth

I thought it was my surface bluetooth that was playing up but definitely is not Greig Please can you join this conversation something is not right here both VR & daydream are not functioning as you state in your videos, Can you show an updated video of this working as iv ran all the tests and more,

joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

See attached image

• This reply was modified 3 years, 10 months ago by joe gormanlyjoeontherun.
    Attachments:
    joe gormanlyjoeontherun
    Participant

Finally im getting somewhere seems like there needs to be a set way of adding the controllers i seem to get more success with the gear VR than i do with the daydream actually the day dream seems very intermittent,

But this may be down to the cheap Bluetooth adaptor i ordered from ebay even though its 4.0 signal is really bad i need to hold my Gear Vr controller next to the Bluetooth adaptor to get a reliable response taking it away to standing distance gives it really bad lag and drop outs,

But in principal it works i am going to fork out on the asus BT400 that Greig advised on as i think this will provide beter quality signal not unless i can open ip the bt i have and try to better the antenna, doesn’t help the BT is down the side of muy computer next to the cables and the WIFI USB Adaptor so this may factor in interference,

i was so chuffed playing my first VR game Drinking pub fight and being able to lamp someone over the head with a pint or a bench worked as expected using skeleton and having the controllers set up as inputs, But i did notice lag here and there but again this looks to be down to the cheap BT or Placement of the BT adaptor,

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.