Homepage Forums Body tracking Rift S with Vive Trackers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Clearyasinistersquid
    Participant

Hey everyone. Recently ran into someone who was planning to run the Rift S with vive trackers. They claimed using Steam VR you can combine them both. Is there any truth to this?

VICTOR PERALEZvipast
    Participant

As far as I am aware the vive trackers require base stations to be tracked. This will not work with the Rift S as the Rift S does not use base stations to track controllers / HMD.

Riley FieldsBlueCyro
    Participant

If I may correct vipast here, you *can* line up vive trackers with your Rift-S coordinate system. You can use OpenVR space calibrator if you just need the controllers, or you can use driver4vr and slap a puck on your headset if you want it tracked via the lighthouse system. From what I understand anyways – I was told you can do the same with a WMR headset so I don’t see why you couldn’t do so with a Rift-S. You will need lighthouses though for things like vive trackers to be tracked.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Riley FieldsBlueCyro.
    • This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by Riley FieldsBlueCyro.
    VICTOR PERALEZvipast
    Participant

That doesn’t seem like a correction, as much as an addition, as you still need the base stations to track the Vive Trackers, although I was just wondering since the Rift S does use IR tracking just inside out, that it could possibly be compatible with the Rift S, but I’m sure you would need some type of hack or other software to somehow enable the Rift S to track it, but it still would not work for full-body tracking, as they would be out of the line of sight of your Rift S, in most cases.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by VICTOR PERALEZvipast.
    Riley FieldsBlueCyro
    Participant

Your original reply implied that it was impossible to get vive trackers working with a rift S. Furthermore, the Rift S inside-out tracking would not be able to see the vive trackers through software or otherwise, the lighthouses use spinning pulses of lasers to track, the Rift S has no way of sending out those pulses in order to track vive accessories themselves. You *need* the lighthouses in order to track vive pucks, controllers or headsets – however it *is* possible to line them up to the Rift S playspace using OpenVR space calibrator or by slapping a puck on the Rift S and running it through driver to make it tracked with the puck instead of the inside-out tracking.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.