Homepage Forums Announcements Release 3.8.0 – Body trackers from Nolo VR, Wii, Joycon

Tagged: 

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • Author
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

In this release:
    1. Nolo VR can be used as body trackers. This is early version but very easy to set up. Instructions here.
    2. Added Wii and Joycon support – work in progress.
    3. Virtually move and rotate is again possible which was broken after OpenVR v12 version.
    4. Added option to PS Move to allow rotate against centre of player’s position, not chaperone.

In case of questions or problems please let me know,
    Greg

kostas katsanoscckats
    Participant

Using the wiimote for controller its quite bad the yaw from the kinect jumps and lags too much.Cant you use the wiimote yaw like in glovepie?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. it is not perfect. which kinect do you have ?
    you can try holding wii in way that it does not go beyond your hand.
    i have also other idea to address this which I think will work much better.

kostas katsanoscckats
    Participant

I have the 360 kinect and wiimote with motion plus add-on. Will the wiimotes in the future be as good as ps move controllers? And also there is an android app called controller emulator by google that is meant to emulate the daydream controller it is possible or easy enough to implement this as a daydream controller?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi,
    i think daydream emularor will not pair with pc. but it would not be hard to make controller out of phone anyway?
    did u try how wii works? how does it work for you ?

Sebmot123Sebmot123
    Participant

Hey Greg.
    I’ve just been testing out the new addition of wii controllers and they seem to work pretty well for a first release. However, I’ve had a strange occurrence where the left vive controller is tilted to the right and the tracking on the left controller doesn’t work as well as the right controller. I place them flat next to each other when starting driver4vr but only the left controller has these problems. I have tried switching which wiimote I use for left and right, but even using the wiimote that worked when on the right, it doesn’t work well on the left.
    Overall though, I’m pretty excited about the inclusion of wiimotes as it gives more options for users, and it seems to be coming along well.

TiggzTiggz
    Participant

Damn, my joycons dont seem to function. Managed to get them to pair on bluetooth and driver4vr recognizes them but when i preview them it doesnt do anything when I move the stick or press buttons 🙁

PodPod
    Participant

Tiggs,I had that and I fixed it by installing drivers for my Bluetooth adapter as it appeared the be a pairing issue.

fatmanrisesfatmanrises
    Participant

My joycons dont get recognised. Also clicking “bluetooth manager” in device manager doesnt open anything (it says “no app installed for link (ms-settings)”

I paired them in the normal win8.1 bluetooth manager but they dont show up under devices in your device manager.

help!

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Credit to the man 🙂 just finished a few hours testing and for me atleast everything is 100% functional including the 180-90 snap from current location. The laggyness is gone to rotation of either controller and colour tracking works quite well but i think i prefer the solid arms feel with the skeletal tracking. Seems to work better with reaching around to change gun for shield in space pirate trailer which i can finally do like 90% of the time at speed when i really need it and throwing in superhot works good too.

Havnt gotten gorn the work yet with its weird movement system but everything else is great. For the first time in months i feel like I need more VR games.

Excellent work Greg, doing the VR lords work ^_^

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Small test and the results….I am such a fan of this. Cheap easy to get into DIY VR, I cant support you enough Greg, fantastic work.

D TXcalibur
    Participant

Yay! Rotation is working fine now and tracking in general is a lot more stable than before in spite of max CPU load. Along with RiftCat 2.0, it’s working great. Thanks Greg!

lefunestelefuneste
    Participant

Hello,
    “4. Added option to PS Move to allow rotate against centre of player’s position, not chaperone.” Where is it ? Does it allow to take into account offset created by the “light bulb” use for head tracking ? (light bulb is on top of head, so rotating up/down for example induce forward/backward move of bulb, introduced as fake move in game if there is no correction…)

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

On driver4vr window, device mananger and bottom left, should in there somewhere.

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

And do you mean when you look up and down because it tracking the glowing bulb and because your head does pivot on a joint but because its sitting on the outer edge of your head it has a pivot of rotation that is not where your eyes are and so you see movement as your perspective moves with that pivot of rotation? Sorry long winded but i have to know XD

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cretkensigh
    this is option on the bottom of main window related to virtual movement.
    i think what you describe does not work as expected and will be fixing it.

PodPod
    Participant

It’s on the psmove configuration screen but as I’ve pointed out to Greg there’s still a few things that could do with improving (see my thread ‘180 flip’)

yspedeyspede
    Participant

Which driver do you use for the wiimote? I connected it to my pc and i see the events when i press a button (so it’s connected?), however the wiimote dont show on the device list?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cretkensigh
    can you try this build ? it should fix pivot. let me know.

PodPod
    Participant

Greg, any news on rotating the right way and/or fixing chaperone rotation?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by PodPod.
    EthanFABEthanFAB
    Participant

Hi, i was trying to use the kinect 360 as body tracking and wii remotes instead of vive controllers but when i went on to the steam VR home none of the buttons would work e.g. the home/menu button. When i go in to the device manager, select wii motion or nunchak and select preview it seems to work and it turns to true when i push buttons on the remote. i do have the option enabled in the wii mote device manager tab and for what i know the kinect 360 is on the correct settings and i have the kinect 360 drivers installed. I was njust wondering if anyone could help (:

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Thanks greg ill give it a try, i actually wasnt havnt any issues that I noticed with the snap turning feature. I was asking about the “fake movement” because it was what stoppdd me going down the psmove service path and using bulbs for head tracking.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cretkensigh
    i forgot to thanks for video 🙂

@EthanFAB

you need select tracker on left, controller on right and then click Assign button

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@Pod
    is this not working in 3.8 ? it rotates you against your actual location.

for chaperone i have really problem with that…. you should know where your origin is, otherwise you go away from actual play area.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@yspede
    you need pair them as described here.

PodPod
    Participant

The rotation pivot is now correct but it rotates the wrong way. When I use my right controller to rotate I end up turning 90 degrees to my left. This also happens when rotating with the default setting of the chaperone as the pivot. Maybe some people like it like this? Can we get a tick box to choose?

As for not rotating the chaperone. Yes you are correct. By leaving it in place you could end up walking somewhere the game doesn’t want you to go. However if you had a large play space and you stood in the far corner and used snap move to go near a wall you’d still be able to do this anyway! The onus in VR is on the player to respect the game.
    And anyway, let’s consider the situation as it is currently. By rotating the chaperone with the world it no longer aligns with your room. I could walk up to and be stood right next to a wall that exists in my house (not the game). Then I rotate and the chaperone rotates with the game world. Now it looks like I can continue moving in the same direction so I take a step forward and WHAM… Broken nose.

I really can’t see that anyone would want it as it currently is? Surely other people are using this in conjunction with steamvr room setup? Have you guys not encountered these issues?

Pod

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cckats
    can you give me example of how it works ?

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Anyone else having trouble with doing the roomscale setup? My controllers dont seem to be picked up by steam when I attemp to do the room setup. Standing setup does the same controllers are not detected but that doesnt affect standing room setup.

Anyone else? Havnt tried that build you put up greg but as soon as i have a day off ill hit it hard. Cheers.

PodPod
    Participant

Roomscale setup worked for me in 3.6 but not tried it in this one yet. I can try and report back if you like. What controllers are you using? I’m using ps moves.

kostas katsanoscckats
    Participant

It works well but when i move the mote at an angle more than 20 degrees it spasms as you can see in this video

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Im usng move controllers old ones with megnetometers when i click start roomscale on steamvr and get to the controllers ready headset ready screen they both vibrate once and stay grey’d out but the headset highligts and says ready.

if i pseyes cameras and do that whole setup the controllers are fine and can do the room setup.no problem so somethiblng with the drivers. I was using 3.6 and they were fine then.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

do you still have ps move bridge installed?

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

Not that i can tell, is there anyway to check the difference between psmovesteamvrbridge and psmove service?

PodPod
    Participant

Greg. Any thoughts on what I posted?
    Rotating the correct way should be a simple change no? (I was hoping to play arizona sunshine tomorrow! :))

Pod

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

so you want to move chaperone with you. yes?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cckats
    i am looking for way to improve wii. do you have plus ?
    with plus I could calibrate wii when there is good angle to kinect and then rely on IMU when angle is more then 20 degree. if I rely only on IMU then you have to calibrate all the time…

PodPod
    Participant

Yes please! (and make the right controller rotate you right, not left when using the 90 degrees option!) 🙂

Pod

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@Pod,
    can you tell me exactly how it works for you ?
    how rotation works for each controller?
    i assume you have each assigned otherwise it would not work.
    tested left/right and they both rotate in correct direction for me.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@cckats
    i tested wii motion on 360 kinect.
    can you try use it and try that wii does not go beyond you hand ? so hold it in way that end of wii is aligned with fingers of your hand.
    thanks.

firekknightfirekknight
    Participant

Hi can I get some help over at https://www.driver4vr.com/forums/topic/need-help/#post-3306? I just paid for gold and it shows the money was taken from my paypal but Im still and friend not gold and can only download the test.

firekknightfirekknight
    Participant

@Greg Driver I emailed you back about the paypal info

PodPod
    Participant

Ah. I only have one ps move (another arrived in the post today). I had been using just 1 ps move assigned to my right hand. Although I did also test it with a joycon in my left.
    Are you ordering the ps moves by assignment and then using the index to determine rotation direction instead of the hand they’re actually assigned to?
    That might explain it. I can test with two psmoves assigned tonight.
    Would it still be worth changing if that is the case. As having two mismatched controllers should be a valid configuration?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

i took one ps move and assigned it to either left or right hand.
    it was rotatin in correct direction…
    perhaps you have assigned to two hands?
    it works this way that you assign to one hand and either box or triangle rotates you to left or right.
    is that your case?

can you send me all logs ?

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by Bla BlablaGreg Driver.
    PodPod
    Participant

Here are my logs.

When I start steam VR I’m in the home room looking at the wall with the controller options. The big TV is to my right. The balcony is to my left.

In my left hand is PsMove0. In my right hand is PsMove1.

When I press Square on PsMove0 (left hand) I end up turning right and looking at the big TV.
    When I press triangle on PsMove1 (right hand) I end up turning left and looking at the balcony.

I also tried assigning them the other way. Having PsMove1 assigned to left hand and vice versa. It did the same thing.

Cheers

Paul

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    ZerberiusZerberius
    Participant

Does driver4vr use NOLO’s sensor? Or just kinect still and only use NOLO’s rotation sensors inside the controllers?

cretkensighcretkensigh
    Participant

@zerberius thats a really good question 🙂 not that I use nolo but I am curious if it uses the base sensor too.

ZerberiusZerberius
    Participant

Yes. Atm, I use kinect 360, which has subpar tracking. If NOLO only uses the rotational sensors, there’s little point in bjmuying it over psmove.

Also, NOLO is 15% off atm due to Chinese new year.

FelixLucidFelixLucid
    Participant

Please send me download link, my version is so out of date.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Nolo uses base station.
    Latest version is here.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

@pod,
    can you try this build ?
    when you start, can you rotate left 2 times and then rotate right 2 times and then send me logs from application folder ?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 64 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.