Homepage Forums How-to and troubleshooting Pimax PSMoveService Rotation Judder

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Ben EastmentBen Eastment
    Participant

Hi Greg,

I’ve been using Driver4VR to provide positional tracking to my Pimax 8k+. I’m using two psmove controllers as controllers, and a ping pong ball attached to the headset for positional. Using PSMoveService and Freepie, and all works very well.

However, for every version of PiTool from 1.0.1.255 onwards, whenever I rotate my head I get this judder effect, kind of like the whole screen shakes rapidly back and forth by a small amount. It happens almost continuously as I am rotating my head (horizontally or vertically), and stops as soon my head stops. Moving my head position back and forwards or sideways does not cause any problem, it’s only the rotation.

On earlier versions of PiTool it works perfectly smoothly. And, it only happens when I start the head tracking. If I just track the controllers and disable the headtracking, head rotation is as smooth as if I’m using the headset by itself. CPU and GPU useage are minimal.

I’ve removed the lines relating to rotation from my FreePie script for good measure (although I don’t think Driver4VR is sending rotation data anyhow?). My best guess, is it feels like maybe they increased the polling rate for the rotational tracking in 1.0.1.255 or something, and perhaps Driver4VR isn’t inserting its data at the correct rate anymore?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks,
    Ben.

Ben EastmentBen Eastment
    Participant

Just trying to add my logs and settings files.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi. as first thing can you put headset on as usualy and record what happens with head position in psmoveconnfig tool. to ensure it is nto caused by any kind of tracking issue.

Ben EastmentBen Eastment
    Participant

It’s fine in the config tool (i.e. the pose tracking follows my head position smoothly). Similarly, it works fine in earlier versions of PiTool, so I don’t think it’s an issue with the tracking in PSMoveService.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

not sure what can be the problem. can you try to downgrade pitool?

Ben EastmentBen Eastment
    Participant

Yes, if I downgrade to PiTool 1.0.1.253 or 1.0.1.254A, everything works fine. The issue only appears in PiTool 1.0.1.255 or later (and is present up to the most recent version 1.0.1.262).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.