Homepage Forums How-to and troubleshooting Leap Problems on 3.2.0.0

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JonnyJonny
    Participant

Hi Greg,

On 3.1 it worked fine but on 3.2, the leap has started getting the left and right hands mixed up. Sometimes they switch, sometimes both hands will control one controller. When you bring you hands out and into view again, it changes again. Sometimes the left controller buttons will control the right controller, and vice versa.

I tried the Leap visualiser, and tracking is fine so it isn’t a Leap problem I think.

Can we get a fix for this? It is pretty unplayable.

I know there are a lot of problems caused by the new SteamVR update, and you are very busy, so thanks again.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 3 months ago by JonnyJonny.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster
    JonnyJonny
    Participant

Tried it, and tracking seems a better, with a relatively stable pointer, but the switching still happens, unfortunately. If I move my hands close enough together or off screen, it seems to get confused, pause, then mess up tracking.

The Leap is pointing more towards the center than before, is that intentional? But that is easily configued in the controller settings.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi.
    yes, that is why I made parameter for offset where you can keep them away while in virtual world they can even overlap.
    if you can make video one by one of diagnosic visualizer and steamvr mirror preview then we can see if there is difference indeed.

greg

JonnyJonny
    Participant

I will try to make a video when I can, but won’t have time for a while.

Until then, imagine perfect tracking on the visualiser, and the vive controllers completely freaking out on the steamvr mirror. SteamVR seems to pause, and then the tracking is lost, one controller disappears, when it comes back one hand moves both controllers. Never had this before.

I wiped my steamvrsettings file and started again, same thing on 3.6.

JonnyJonny
    Participant

Ok Greg,
    I updated to the latest SteamVR and Driver4VR, and the problem persists.

My tracking in the visualiser is perfect, and tracking in SteamVR is way off. I recorded two videos doing the same hand movements/gestures each time. As you can see, in SteamVR it just freaks out. If I move my hands out and in, one hand will appear, and the other will take a few seconds. Then one hand might control both controllers.

I had to trim the videos to be able to send them to you, hope you can see enough there.

Also, the controllers seem way too far out. I am using +12 in the video, with +20 they are almost at the edges of the screen.

Hope you can see what I am talking about. One more thing I will try is going back to the old Pimax drivers, to see if they messed it up. Will report back.

Cheers.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by JonnyJonny.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JonnyJonny
    Participant

Pimax driver isn’t to blame, it is the same on the older version. I will revert to the temporary SteamVR beta to see if that helps.

JonnyJonny
    Participant

Ok, so I went back to 3.1 and the temporary SteamVR, and it is still the same. It worked before on that so I have no idea what is going on.

To do a completely clean installation, including psmove and kinect drivers, which folders should be deleted? I will try that.

JonnyJonny
    Participant

To be a bit more specific:

After some testing, I believe the problem is that the controllers are switching. But not just left/right, the axes are sometimes switching too. That is why I am sometimes controlling both controllers. The left controller for example sometimes controls the X,Y,Z axes, as well as the right controller’s X, and so on.

I think the reason that they look really far outwards is that after switching they still have the offset enabled, so instead of being closer to the center, they move further away.

I have no idea what is causing it except I have noticed that SteamVR seems choppy, performance is bad. When I move the controls out of view and in again, there seems to be a long pause before they reappear (usually reversed with the axes messed up, and on the wrong hand).

Before the big SteamVR update, the left/right hands would sometimes be wrong, but they wouldn’t switch back when SteamVR is open. I would just have to restart SteamVR and raise the left hand first, and it would work. Now it is like SteamVR is trying to work out which hand is which in real time, and messing up.

Hope that helps.

JonnyJonny
    Participant

…and the buttons are switching in game too.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

regarding reappear, can you check if same happens in diagnostic view ?

JonnyJonny
    Participant

It is perfectly fine in the diagnostic visualiser too.

I wasn’t using psmoveservice before now, but I have just been trying to use psmove service with the leap, and after configuring the controllers it strangely seems to have helped with leap tracking. The psmoves gyros were wrong at first. Left controlling right etc. Is it possible that the problem I am having is that (even with psmoveservice off) it is somehow switching between controller configs or controller gyros? Like between Leap hand gyros and psmove gyros?

JonnyJonny
    Participant

Sorry for the wall of text, Greg.

Ok, so after a lot of messing around, reinstalling etc, I have gotten psmove working well. Leap tracking works fine for a while, I have all the buttons set up, then 10 minutes into Dead Effect 2, the hands switch (but not controls or gyros) and I have to cross my arms. It has done this 3 times.

I think the main problem is that SteamVR (or leap) is switching the hands (L/R controllers) for some reason.

Also, I noticed that the buttons I mapped for the left hand work only the right, and vice versa.

I will attach the logs, maybe they can help.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    JonnyJonny
    Participant

Ok, this is weird. I discovered that I can get Leap tracking to work normally, if I reverse the tracking direction twice in the Leap options, after starting SteamVR.

I guess it refreshes it somehow, and makes games playable again, until the next time I load steamvr. Left and right are still often reversed though, but tracking is ok.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

they are reversed in game only. right ?
    perhaps you can replace one model so we will see if problem is also in SteamVR?
    in SteamVR go to settings->Environment->Controller
    and find a skin to replace. then tell me if they also replace in SteamVR.
    thanks.

JonnyJonny
    Participant

They are reversed in Steam VR too. I use a model that shows L/R on the front.

Mostly though, it usually works if I raise the left hand first in SteamVR, after reversing the tracking direction in Leap.

It would be cool if there was some kind of switch controller button in Driver4VR though, would that be a possibility?

For now though it works well enough, you can ignore most of that above. The poor tracking was the main problem, and the workaround works every time.

Cheers.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.