Homepage Forums Bugs Kinect stops tracking after a few seconds

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

Hi!

Everytime I’m trying to calibrate the kinect it stops tracking after a few seconds, sometimes it stops after a minute or something.
    Is there any chance of fixing this?

Regards,
    Alexander

P.s.: The calibration window just stops working and the skeleton pose is no longer updated.

• This topic was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by WalaWalaWalaWala.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

can you confirm if you can see skeleton in calibratino window and if you can see trackers in steamvr? not the game itself ?

WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

Yes, the skeleton is visible, but it’s only flickering and not moving at all. The trackers are visible in the steam void.
    I got it working after 20 or 30 tries – it is much worse in the calibration window, if I’m only using it in-game the tracking lasts for about 5 minutes before it stops.

WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

Oh: I have to restart the complete steamVR server in order to get it working again. Sometimes even that is not enough and I have to remove the kinect and wait a few minutes.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

first of all is kinect skeleton preview. if this is flickering that means it does not track you properly and there is no way to see trackers in steamvr.

can you make sure that first in calibration window you can cleary see skeleton ?

it might be due to usb bandwidth so you can try different way to arrange usb slots or temporarily play with only one usb base station.

thanks

WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

Phew. I can try a bit different USB configuration – but it’s currently attached to a USB controller that has only my USB keyboard attached (and that was the only port that really worked). I will try to move a few cables around this evening and will keep track here – thank you for your support so far!

[edit]Sorry, the skeleton is visible, yes – just not moving.[/edit]

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by WalaWalaWalaWala.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

if skeleton is visible and not moving that means you indeed might have problem with usb bandwidth.
    but there is also possible although chance is small, that there is bug in application and it does not refresh skeleton.

to check this you need to download SDK and run skeleton/body tracking sample.
    in the same time you need disable body tracking in driver4vr.
    that will make kinect working but not from driver but external sampel application.
    then need to look if it keeps on tracking skeleton in this external ap

WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

The USB bandwidth problem seems possible, I will try it later this evening. Thank you very much.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 2 months ago by WalaWalaWalaWala.
    WalaWalaWalaWala
    Participant

Just for your information: I think I found a viable port constellation – at least I could use it for about 20 minutes without any problem.
    The tracking was a bit off (started great, but moved a bit to the left during the 20 minutes), but overall a nice experience, thank you very much.

duhyaduhya
    Participant

Hello I’ve had this same problem on two different systems. On the first It was a bandwidth issue, but i’m posting because of what I’ve experienced on my second.

My kinect 2 was reconnecting constantly which was visible by the lights on it turning off, and by watching the kinect configuration viewer. I tried everything from changing ports, to installing drivers, chipsets, updating bios, turning off legacy usb support in bios, turning off usb selective suspend in power options.

The solution makes no sense, but it turns out disabling the kinect microphone in recording devices caused this behaviour. Enabling it instantly fixed it…

I found the solution here. Hopefully this helps someone someday.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. i have been through this cause I did not wanted kinect recorder to work.
    then I was not able to find out what the problem is with my kinect.
    but I did disable it purposely and it did not allow me to use it even for few seconds.

Tristen WhiteakerTristen Whiteaker
    Participant

I know I’m necro-ing this thread, but I’d like to confirm that RE-ENABLING THE MICROPHONE COMPONENT WORKED!

Holy crap, you have no idea how much I’ve gone through, how much fixing and bypassing I did to try to make my Kinect work, because It would shut off and on every time any sort of software attempted to wake and use the Kinect.

First thing I tried was snip 2 motherboard connected wires from the fan to the motherboard, so it would bypass the heat activation and use the fan at full power constantly. It didnt do anything for me.

But then, after many many times of trying and trying to get this thing to work, I saw this post. I was skeptical, but I saw that I had disabled the microphone on the Kinect in my Recording Devices. I just enabled it and tested the Verifier, and it worked! No shutting off, nothing!

Hope this helps anyone else encountering the problem. Thanks for this thread, guys.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.