Homepage Forums How-to and troubleshooting Kinect Head Tracking, PSMoveService Hand Controllers

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Nick SaccoNick Sacco
    Participant

I’m confused on how this works. My setup:

PSVR
    Two Move controllers
    iVRy
    Driver4VR
    Head tracking via Kinect (Xbox One)
    Controller tracking via PSmoveservice and four PS Eye cameras (two in front, two in back)

I would think that with the four Eye cameras, I would be able to track the controllers in a 3D space. What is happening instead is when I turn around, the controllers don’t track correctly, and just start randomly moving around at my sides, instead of being in front of me. This is because the movement of the controllers in the 3D VR space is determined by my hands, and not the controllers themselves. That means that the Kinect is tracking my hands as my controllers, and not PSmoveservice and the Eye cameras.

Why does that happen? Why does head tracking also track my hands? What is the use of PSmoveservice as hand controllers?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

this is not something I officially tested but this is how I think it should work.
    in such setup you should have only option head tracking enabled as Kinect – Skeleton.
    then yo use controllers via psmoveservice and psmoveservicebridge.
    you need somehow align controller position with head position when you start vr cause these are two different tracking systems.
    the problem that you describe seems to be solely related to colour or pose calibration of psmoveservice. not really related to driver4vr.
    i would recommend starting psmoveservice config tool. then preview controller position and it should have same behaviour as you see in vr.
    when you see that, then ensure that each camera is tracking properly the led ball.
    alternatively repeat calibratino mat steps. in case of problems with that I would search for help on psmoveservice forum.

that is my understanding of what happens, please let me know if that helps.

Nick SaccoNick Sacco
    Participant

Okay, it looks like I’ve got positional tracking on the controllers working more or less. One of them is acting real funky, I figure I need to tweak color filters or whatever.

Now I’ve not a new problem. How do I get Driver4VR’s Kinect head tracking and PSmoveservicebridge’s controller tracking on the same page, as far as where everything is in the VR world? In the VR space I see the four PS move cameras, and they look like they’re in the right place between the four of them. The Kinect shows up as the main base, but it shows up a couple feet higher than the cameras, when it should be on the very same height as the two front cameras. It also seems that the Kinect and the two front Eyes don’t think they’re pointing in the same direction, which means that the HMD and the controllers are in different spaces. If I am facing forward, the controller is floating around above me, and to my right.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

the base stations will not align as each has its own absolute coordinates.
    the question again is if you see same in psmoveconfigtool.

Nick SaccoNick Sacco
    Participant

I did some tweaking to color tracking, which I think helped. And I think I still need to make more.

I think what was really messing me up is that I was trying to cheat with the calibration mat. My printer is out of ink, so I was using my iPad. But that is the wrong size, even after taking the edges of the iPad itself and not the screen. Now that I did a proper letter sheet of paper, and now the tracking resembles something close to being correct.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

I think first time I printed this on wrong size of paper.
    So I took a meter and made my own with paper and pen 🙂
    Greg

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.