Homepage Forums How-to and troubleshooting Help with Rift + Kinect 1 + Joy Cons

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ayarita9ayarita9
    Participant

Hi all, (and Greg),

I’ve been using D4VR for a while with the Kinect v1, to achieve leg presence. While it was a little finicky to set up, the process was straight forward and I was able to consistently get good tracking once I set it up correctly in games like Vrchat.

However, I realized only yesterday that I could use Joy Cons as of the last update or so, for rotational information.
    I immediately connected the Joy Cons that I have (I have a LOT, so it’d be really useful if I could attach them to all three trackers for rotational information).

The thing is, I’m not 100% sure where exactly to strap them: should they go where the SteamVR trackers show up (mid shin), or should I strap them on my feet? Or should I force the trackers lower in the offsets and strap the Joy Cons exactly where the virtual trackers are? As of right now, my virtual foot trackers do not touch the floor, but it has not really mattered for Vrchat as I can achieve a normal posture with foot movement even if the trackers are technically in my shin. (I can take a screenshot to further illustrate this, if needed)
    Do the Joy Cons have to be upright, or can they lay flat on your feet?

In addition, I’ve experienced gyro drifting on a few of the Joy Cons I have, and this completely messes up orientation, as my right foot seemingly slowly rotates 360. Changing Joy Cons fixed this, but I’d love to be able to account for gyro drift on the software side of things, if it’s possible.

If anyone has experience with the Joy Con + Kinect set up, please let me know.
    And Greg, if you see this, props man!! Thanks for making such an awesome driver, as well as the continued work.

ayarita9ayarita9
    Participant

In response to my own post:

I’ve got it all “working” now, and it’s amazing, despite ONE HUGE CAVEAT (which I will explain later).

The joy cons must be attached to your FOOT. This is because the rotation should be expressed on your foot, and from rotation information from moving your foot, not your shins. This means that the virtual SteamVR trackers MUST be at foot level for this to work (i.e. when you are in steam overlay, you should see the trackers at floor level!).

In addition, you MUST have a good Bluetooth connection, or else the rotational data will not be 1:1 with your movements (i.e. It will skip frames of rotation with a bad connection, and you will end up with messed up rotation).

The big caveat that I mentioned earlier is the fact that many Joy Cons have gyro drift, at a hardware level, so you MUST find a pair of Joy Cons that do not exhibit any drift. Otherwise, your feet with the affected Joy Cons will drift slowly 360 degrees in a circle in the direction of the drift.
    I experienced gyro drift on the Nintendo Switch using the Joy Cons, so it made sense that it would exhibit that behavior using it in this manner with D4VR.
    Hopefully, though it is not an *immediate* issue, it would be nice if Greg can implement some way to counteract this drift — Nintendo does this software side, as you must set the joy cons down flat for it to “calibrate” and get rid of drift.

For now, however, I’ve created my own pair of “VR shoes” with joy cons embedded, and while I have to reset it with a long press of the home/capture button periodically, it allows for turning your body without your feet following your head rotation, which brings the whole D4VR experience quite close to the vive puck system, at least until we can use two kinects to provide back coverage (which may not be necessary if everyone has some sort of rotational instrument to provide data to the driver).

Greg, if you see this, please add the option to add rotational data to hips in normal “skeleton” tracking (and not only in the colored experimental tracking). I believe it’s meant to be implemented, but there is no “hip tracker” replacement in the device manager. This forum post details this issue: https://www.driver4vr.com/forums/topic/hip-tracker-not-available-in-device-manager-trackerhips/

Again, thanks for all the work! ^^

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi.
    i think it all has already been added.
    sorry for getting back to you so late. it is really interesting post and you did it when these things were not official.
    it seems joycon will suffer of drift and this is pity cause it is very nice controller full of buttons.
    right now we have ps move and daydream with magnetometer so they only have potential for no drifting. although ps move has its own issues.

ewan bristowTi_Ton
    Participant

It’s been 2 years, has multiple kinect been added?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.