Driver4VR – Body Tracking with Camera Markers – Alpha Relase

Homepage Forums Announcements Driver4VR – Body Tracking with Camera Markers – Alpha Relase

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Greg Driver 2 weeks, 4 days ago.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author

Greg Driver
    Keymaster

Overview

Here is a fist version for Alpha tests of body tracking with Camera Markers as first shown in this video.

To be used with existing headset: Oculus, Index, MWR, HTC, etc.
    Will work with PS Eye and Webcam however with webcam it might lose tracking easily when you move tracker.
    It will also lose tracking when making fast motion with PS Eye.
    Ensure you don’t have strong light in the background, good light from the side of camera and markers are clearly visible.

Things I will be definitively work on before official release:
    – jitter of rotation when marker is directly facing camera.
    – reduction of jitter when marker visibility changes (it is not huge anyway)
    – options to reduce cpu usage
    – webcam will easily lose tracking when in motion. will try to improve it.
    – camera auto calibration of exposure/gain
    – possibly support more flexibility about marker mounting.
    – add more automation to manual calibration

This is very good thing that you can experiment even with webcam and one marker before purchasing PS Eye.

The tracker can be made up out of multiple markers.
    There is key marker and number of secondary markers.
    In order to calibrate key and secondary must be direct neighbours.
    As effect you can’t have marker at front and the back. Option for future.

Making a tracker

I am working on pre-fabricated markers that you could purchase if not want to spend time on making yours but that is still to come 😉

Please also note that you can start with just one marker (Key marker) so just print it and glue on something solid like cardboard and you are ready to go.

There are two trackers supported for each foot (hip is virtual) and they need to be made out of markers as below:
    Tracker 0 has Key marker: 0 and Secondary markers 1,2,3,4
    Tracker 1 has Key marker: 6 and Secondary markers 7,8,9,10

Here is how I made my controller. I prefer put this inside shoe as it is much more natural and not feel it is floating.
    Here is my version 🙂

Driver4VR Carboard Marker Slipper

I have been working with box of size 13cm. Smaller might work less precise.

The steps below are complete but I suggest to experiment with Driver4VR a bit before spending time on making a solid tracker 🙂

The steps to make markers are as below:
    1. Download file with markers
    2. Use Scale option in Printer Advanced Settings to print them in size that will match size of your box. You might need to try with just one marker to get best scale to fit your box.
    3. Cut them out of paper around the outside black rectangle.
    Driver4VR Camera Marker Cut from Paper
    4. Glue Key marker on front and secondary markers on the sides of the box. You can attach marker to the bottom of the box as well for better coverage.
    5. Try to glue it carefully around the edges so it will last for much longer.

Setup and configuration

Download Driver4VR 5.1.1.1 Camera Markers Alpha#1

For PS Eye drivers, download and install drivers.

Until marker calibration is done, tracker will see only key marker as the tracker.

I placed PS Eye at the height on 40cm pointing to the corner of my play space. It gives very good coverage.
    Ensure that camera is connected very well as PS Eye is very lightweight and can be easy moved even by slight push of the cable.

1. Select Camera Markers as Body Tracking option
    2. Before starting Driver4VR please open Camera Markers Settings window and set
    – camera either Webcam or PS Eye.
    – Marker size, now one size for all markers
    – PS Eye gain to make trackers well visible. You can change it when driver is running.
    3. Start Driver4VR

Now when you show key tracker, you should see it somewhere. You can actually start testing this solution now with one marker as explained in Making a tracker section

4. Open Camera Markers Settings. Ensure you see camera preview.
    5. When you show your tracker with two markers it will try to calibrate them. You can reset calibration with a button.
    Driver4VR Camera Markers Calibration of Markers
    6. Do same for each pair of Key – Secondary marker for Tracker 0 and Tracker 1
    7. Last step is calibration. Perform manual calibration as on this video. I will add some more automation for release.

Driver4VR will remember those calibration so next time just start Driver4VR.

The best if you join Discord server and join testing on #camera-markers channel.
    Or let me know how it work as reply to this thread.
    Don’t forget to subscribe YouTube channel 😉

Don’t forget to show me how you made your trackers!

Greg

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.