Homepage Forums General Best Games to play with Wii Motes

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Abdelrahman helalyHelaly96
    Participant

Hello all,
    I recently bought the app (for wii motes) and was rather disappointed with how it handled Beat saber.
    so i am trying to justify my purchase, did anyone try any games with wii?

• This topic was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by Abdelrahman helalyHelaly96.
    Force GsixtyForce Gsixty
    Participant

Hi I have some experience to tell you and I will end with a question of my own! (btw i’m on Windows 10 64bit 20H2)

I first started Experimenting with Driver4VR (+ iVry) and Wiimote+ & Nunchuk couple of years ago.
    It was when I received my iPhoneX and thought now is the time to take advantage of that beautiful screen…
    I bought a cheap 2ndhand Xbox version1 Kinect (V1)
    still had my Wii stuff since I have been using the Dolphin Emulator for years!
    The using of Wii controller where still in very early stages of Driver4VR so I figured not to expect much,
    to my surprise it was actually not all that bad…
    problem at that time my GPU wasn’t that strong (R9 280X 3GB) and barely any VR games to test it with,
    so I walked around in SteamVR HOME a few times and then gave up!

I forgot all about it… fast forward to time where I noticed a group on [censored] offering VR pirate games
    Don’t want to offend anyone but I have to try out my games before I buy it, but still didn’t feel motivated to install etc.

Until very recently I received my iPhone12proMAX after my iPhoneX screen died due to a fall.
    So I installed latest iVry which looked way more professional I thought, well the Driver4VR might also 🙂
    Got myself a Kinect V2 with USB3 adapter thingy, downloaded SDK Kinect all worked right away no error!
    Installed the latest Driver4VR selected Kinect for hand tracking enabled the Wii-controller ON
    iVry is handling the HMD so I don’t use Kinect for head tracking, maybe I should do both?
    (Extra info: Not using body tracking since I’m laying down on a electric adjustable sofa)

I started trying out Halflife Alyx, damn it looked fine (even with my mediocre 1660ti)
    but obviously the Nunchuk lacks the amount of buttons, I just couldn’t get used to it!
    almost deciding to give up again and not buy the game…
    Suddenly it struck me, I have a 2nd WiiMote+ what if I connected both but not use the nunchuck’s?
    at first I left them connected and assigned 1 WiiMotion+ to Left and the other WiiMotion+ assign to Right
    then I simply disconnected the nunchuks, meaning no more cables at all
    this really worked a lot better in terms of accurate motions!

My biggest problem is that the Kinect is still forced to do the hand tracking for spacial movement…
    UP DOWN LEFT RIGHT but even more important FORWARD BACKWARD!
    since I’m now using 2 WiiMotion+ with both their own SENSOR in the tip, looking at the same InfraRed Sensorbar
    could this work better then my jittery KinectV2? or perhaps combined?

John Billsjables
    Participant

fairly new user here, but I was able to get decent results with a wii remote based setup.

Just the bare remotes was jittery as hell and pretty terrible. Adding the motion plus attachment helped – seemed to smooth things. Adding the kinect for tracking and then using the wii remotes just for rotation (or you can play with the other overwrite settings) moved it up into the passable category. Beat saber gets pretty hairy the more advanced you get, and this couldn’t handle anything more than “normal” mode I don’t think – def not expert. But if you set it to “no fail” mode and just go in chopping to have some cheap fun, it wasn’t a half bad experience. I like that I can beam it easily to our TV instead of using a headset. I might be in the minority, but if I can get away with it, I’d rather do this on a TV than a headset – just not super into the VR thing and the viewing overhead you have to put up with, unless there’s no other choice. Works well with the forward facing games.

I’m not sure how good my bluetooth is on my laptop – the wii remote jitter might be improved with an external bluetooth dongle. Also probably doesn’t help that my computer is right next to my wifi router – I think there’s probably some 2.4ghz interference but I haven’t tried turning it off and then firing up beat saber.

You see youtube videos of wii remotes with driver4vr being buttery smooth though, and I wonder if maybe some people have one of the IR bars from an old Dolphin setup, and if that helps? I’m not sure – perhaps that could improve the “passable” results I’m getting to be even better and more like what you see on some of the youtube vids.

But that said, later I picked up a cheap (~$120) Dell Visor on Ebay and was able to experience beat saber like it was “meant” to be for the first time. The tracking is great and the little haptic buzz to the controls gave it such a great feel.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by John Billsjables.
    John Billsjables
    Participant

My connection with the wii remotes did totally smoothed out and is much more reasonable now, as soon as I tried an external dongle (asus >$10USD btw!). Wii remotes seem pretty usable now and any jitter is more from the Kinect than anything. On that note, the Kinect 360 has to be pretty far away to get my full body – I hear the Kinect One w/ a wider field of view can be closer and is a bit higher resolution, but it’s not cheap like the 360 one is.

I picked up a pair of the older style (ps3) ps moves and will see if those can improve the experience when I’m using tVR instead of a headset like I’m trying to do. It’d be nice to just have a setup that bypasses the Kinect for just head tracking of some kind when that’s all I really need (for some games). Maybe some sort of LED ping pong ball on a headband would be enough to return a fairly smooth head position… but I guess that would need to use either the Kinect or a PS eye, right? I’ll keep chipping away at this setup and try some ideas. Really just want it to work tightly with Beat Saber and Box VR.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.