Homepage Forums How-to and troubleshooting Kinect Trackers instructions

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • Author
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Here you can find instructions and common problems related to Kinect Trackers.

HTC Vive and Nolo VR will work with Kinect 360 only.
    Oculus and WMR will work well with Kinect 360 and Kinect One.

1. Kinect Driver installation and supporting tools for verification

2. Installation instructions video – new version that capture only 2 poses but need 2 trackers.

3. Installation instructions video – older version, need capture 5 points of head position Kinect and Headset

• This topic was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Bla BlablaGreg Driver.
    • This topic was modified 5 years, 9 months ago by Bla BlablaGreg Driver.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Installation

1. Kinect Drivers
    * Kinect 360 – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40278
    * Kinect One – https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44559

2. Kinect Troubleshooting / Verification (only in case of problems)
    * Kinect 360
    download Kinect Developer Toolkit, start Kinect Tookit Browser and try Skeleton Basics application and Color Basics application
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40276
    * Kinect One
    Use Kinect Verifier
    https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/kinect/hardware-setup

Kevin CarbottePumcy
    Participant

The link to the Kinect 360 drivers is broken.

Will your software work with runtime 1.8?

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=40277

• This reply was modified 6 years, 6 months ago by Kevin CarbottePumcy.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

thanks. fixed.

andybakandybak
    Participant

Any chance of text for the installation instructions? I’m in a busy office and video is an awful format generally for documentation.

vrfriendvrfriend
    Participant

no download available says it is a virus??

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

can utell what av do you use? i will report false positive.

drewlove420drewlove420
    Participant

Thanks for all the wonderful work Greg!

Do you happen to have a reccomendation on distance/height/angle for positioning the kinect to achieve maximum potential for skeletal tracking?

Greatly looking forward to your potential implementation of multiple kinect support.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi,
    i prefer keeping kinect high so the risk is minimal that one or other hand will cover head from camera.

but I need smarter way to detect head position as now with headset it is too prone to jumps.

memelord70memelord70
    Participant

So is there any way to make it more accurate, I had my vive and my 360 kinect, however when setting it up it was not able to get anything close to selecting my feet, not compared to the videos shown.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

can you elaborate more? did you pass calibration ?
    what happened after that as you were walking around the room ?
    best if you start kinect preview and see what is area where body is tracked properly.

CopperpugCopperpug
    Participant

Sorry, the man the myth the legend memelord70 here. Was unable to sign back in and made a new account

I passed all 5 points of calibration multiple times, however when looking in the vive headset they were a good foot away from my foot. Not only that but they somtimes didn’t follow the axis of my foot. They were able to get my general position as I ealked throughout the room.

• This reply was modified 6 years, 4 months ago by CopperpugCopperpug.
    Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi.
    it seems like your vive might use one of relative parameters regarding position that I currently don’t take into considerations. i will try to prepare build and will dump some of these so I can understand better what happens.

Deep KataraDeePanda103
    Participant

Hey there!

For some reason, when I try to calibrate body tracking with my Kinect, the prompts does not show up in my HMD. Could you help me out with that?

Thanks!

Deep KataraDeePanda103
    Participant

Also, for positional tracking, forward = backward and left = right. Changing the correction angle from positive to negative doesn’t seem to be helping.

Help please!

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

are u using Trinus ?

Deep KataraDeePanda103
    Participant

Nevermind, I got it to work.

Thanks anyway for the help!

GentleFPSGentleFPS
    Participant

Hi! I have everything installed, and Skeleton Basics works with my kinect 360, however, when I try to start driver4vr, it says “Could not load Kinect”, I can’t seem to figure out the problem, I’ve reinstalled drivers, I’ve restarted my computer, and I’m really struggling.

Could anyone help me out?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

can you send me driver4vr.log which is included in installation directory ?

thanks.

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

Can you create light balls for your feet and hip to help improve hip and leg tracking? Also, how many kinects can you use in a setup? Could multiple kinect help with leg/hip tracking? Any tips such problems?
    I am trying to use it with VRChat and the kinect keeps losing my legs/hip.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

yes. you will. what is cool about it is that there will be no need to track skeleton. for example only lower part of body.
    i don’t support 2 kinects right now. sometime in next year first q.

WigglyPotatoChipWigglyPotatoChip
    Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to set up the Kinect 360 for my oculus for waist and leg detection. However I can’t even get that far because for whatever reason when I run the configuration viewer, It says the Kinect is not connected, and the software is not either. I have downloaded the 360 drivers (SDK 1.8) and the dev tools as listed above in the threads. I am running Windows 10. I am not sure what the problem is and I need help.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

so did you got kinect running in one of sample app from sdk ?

Participant

I was able to get the entire system running actually. It had to do with the power going to the Kinect. Apparently one of my power strips wasn’t giving it enough juice.

I’m trying to set up a Second Kinect. Is the Setup Process Very Similar?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

Hi,
    So happy it works !!!
    Unfortunately no second Kinect yet 🙁 Should be somewhere Feb next year.

Participant

Awe okay, Do you know of any software that allows the tracking of 2 kinects prefereably skeleton? I have a home project I’m working on and would like to use 2 kinects if I can.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

perhaps you can find something here

i can see google also gives a lot of project even on github

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

I have been looking into using Reflective tape or bands like these for leg/hip tracking “https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N7NGJWT ” OR could a lit /led ping pong ball be used to help the kinect (xbox one) track my feet / hip? Have you had any luck with such things? What are you doing on such issues? Whats you take on legs and hip tracking right now?

Videos below on reflective tape being used on kinect.

And a video on a lit ping pong ball being used for head tracking.

Thank you for time and work on driver4vr and on me.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

hi,
    yes. i think i might add reflective tape tracking but this will be only one point as I cannot distinguish between 2 tapes. and I am bit afraid that detecting a figure would not work cause there is too many angles we can see body.
    but if the tape was made of smaller patterns but I am not sure really.

yes. ball trakcing is possible for head tracking. honestly there is bug in 3.0 and even if you select, it will not work. I will make release of 3.1 today and it will work 🙂

ChainsawChainsaw
    Participant

So you can’t use ball tracking for the hip and legs? Sorry to keep bothering you.

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

in January or February you can with new release.
    it is just that this tape is good for one tracker. but honestly i would very much to use it.

D TXcalibur
    Participant

It will be great for head tracking! Lighter than a light with batteries…

Vini NessVini Ness
    Participant

There is a huge diference when i use the Kinect 360 or Kinect One, i know the sensors of the One is better, but in terms of VR and Driver4VR it is any diference at all? besides the FOV

And the Kinect can track my hands if i have my body between my hands and the sensor, like when showing my back to the sensor?

PodPod
    Participant

Hi all.

I’m having trouble with a kinect 360
    I’ve installed the 1.8 drivers and the toolkit. The skeleton demo works fine

However the device list in driver4vr is empty.

Running windows 10 with driver4vr in administration mode

Any ideas?

Pod

PodPod
    Participant

heres my log btw

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    PodPod
    Participant

Update. I moved steam vr to my c drive and driver4vr finally installed the driver and started working. Now I have riftcat and driver4vr listed in the device list. I’m able to specify head tracking via kinect and I can calibrate and use the settings button to get the purple screen. This shows me as a skeleton.

At the top of the screen it says driver4vr isn’t started yet. I click start and it runs for about 1 second and then stops.

I think I read elsewhere on the forum that it might think it’s out of time on the trial? I’m yet to get it running so that seems unlikely?

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster
    PodPod
    Participant

Sure.will do tonight.
    Did you see my response in the other thread? I was able to get it working for about 4-5mins. Then it would go into this loop again and I’d have to shut down everything and reload.

While it worked it was great though!

PodPod
    Participant

Cheers Greg. That worked!

Next question.
    I was trying to setup room scale and the shape it drew as I moved around my place space was 45 degrees tilted. Its no biggie. I think I can rotate the play area shape in the setup although I was unable to try it today as my playspace is actually too small at the moment.
    I will try and move some things around to fix it but I was wondering if you could confirm if it is indeed possible to fully setup room scale and thus chaperone?

Cheers

Paul

P.s I’ll be buying it tonight. So glad its now working!

Bla BlablaGreg Driver
    Keymaster

ok. in case of any questions let me know.
    if all moves in right direction then you need make normal room setup.
    if you have move not aligned with motion then you need calibrate headset which you can do via button next to head tracking option selection.
    greg

PodPod
    Participant

Yeah I had already done that. I’m using it with a Samsung s8 in a gearvr with riftcat 2.0. Might that be reporting an odd orientation?

PodPod
    Participant

I should add that my movement in the world is aligned to my view. Its only the steam vr room setup top down view that thinks I’m tilted. I can provide a screenshot if it helps?

ShioshishioShioshishio
    Participant

Hello,

could someone help me with the error “Could not start Kinect” Windows already showing up my Kinect and it seems like it works but it doesn’t start it on driver4vr.

MiViSKMiViSK
    Participant

When this happens to me i just start kinect checker, scroll to last step, wave at kinect and then its working again.

emperorvoidemperorvoid
    Participant

I setup my Kinect 360, installed the KinectDeveloperToolkit-v1.8.0-Setup, KinectRuntime-v1.8-Setup, and KinectSDK-v1.8-Setup. Driver4VR is installed. When I run the program it freezes the screen on my Rift. I can run the calibration, but I have to turn off my Oculus program and turn it back on for the HMD to show anything again, but then I also have to restart Driver4VR which freezes it all over again. What can I do to fix this issue?

skizziesskizzies
    Participant

I’m having the same issues as empororvoid. I can’t quite seem to figure out what the problem is, and I can’t get past the 3rd step of calibration. I’ve only had the calibration show up in SteamVr once, but it froze and the “controllers” were way off on the Vr screen. Has anyone found the solution?

mebalzermebalzer
    Participant

Do you know when you will provide Kinect One capability to the HTC/Vive?

futurespec1futurespec1
    Participant

iv got everything working for my oculus with driver4vr and load spiderman homecoming and point at the start with kinect 360 but cant select it as no buttons how would you set this up

AromaAroma
    Participant

Ok I have an issue with either the program or my kinsect 360

I am using an oculus rift with driver4vr

When I get into the program all boots up fine other than my kinect camera not activating unless something is moving 2 feet away maximum. Any ideas of what I could do?

lolz9092lolz9092
    Participant

When I plug in my Kinect, my oculus sensors get a catastrophic error. help?

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 104 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.