2019-11-27 at 12:49 #12125
Here is a fist version for Alpha tests of body tracking with Camera Markers as first shown in this video.
To be used with existing headset: Oculus, Index, MWR, HTC, etc.
Will work with PS Eye and Webcam however with webcam it might lose tracking easily when you move tracker.
It will also lose tracking when making fast motion with PS Eye.
Ensure you don’t have strong light in the background, good light from the side of camera and markers are clearly visible.
Things I will be definitively work on before official release:
– jitter of rotation when marker is directly facing camera.
– reduction of jitter when marker visibility changes (it is not huge anyway)
– options to reduce cpu usage
– webcam will easily lose tracking when in motion. will try to improve it.
– camera auto calibration of exposure/gain
– possibly support more flexibility about marker mounting.
– add more automation to manual calibration
This is very good thing that you can experiment even with webcam and one marker before purchasing PS Eye.
The tracker can be made up out of multiple markers.
There is key marker and number of secondary markers.
In order to calibrate key and secondary must be direct neighbours.
As effect you can’t have marker at front and the back. Option for future.
Making a tracker
I am working on pre-fabricated markers that you could purchase if not want to spend time on making yours but that is still to come 😉
Please also note that you can start with just one marker (Key marker) so just print it and glue on something solid like cardboard and you are ready to go.
There are two trackers supported for each foot (hip is virtual) and they need to be made out of markers as below:
Tracker 0 has Key marker: 0 and Secondary markers 1,2,3,4
Tracker 1 has Key marker: 6 and Secondary markers 7,8,9,10
Here is how I made my controller. I prefer put this inside shoe as it is much more natural and not feel it is floating.
Here is my version 🙂
I have been working with box of size 13cm. Smaller might work less precise.
The steps below are complete but I suggest to experiment with Driver4VR a bit before spending time on making a solid tracker 🙂
The steps to make markers are as below:
1. Download file with markers
2. Use Scale option in Printer Advanced Settings to print them in size that will match size of your box. You might need to try with just one marker to get best scale to fit your box.
3. Cut them out of paper around the outside black rectangle.
4. Glue Key marker on front and secondary markers on the sides of the box. You can attach marker to the bottom of the box as well for better coverage.
5. Try to glue it carefully around the edges so it will last for much longer.
Setup and configuration
For PS Eye drivers, download and install drivers.
Until marker calibration is done, tracker will see only key marker as the tracker.
I placed PS Eye at the height on 40cm pointing to the corner of my play space. It gives very good coverage.
Ensure that camera is connected very well as PS Eye is very lightweight and can be easy moved even by slight push of the cable.
1. Select Camera Markers as Body Tracking option
2. Before starting Driver4VR please open Camera Markers Settings window and set
– camera either Webcam or PS Eye.
– Marker size, now one size for all markers
– PS Eye gain to make trackers well visible. You can change it when driver is running.
3. Start Driver4VR
Now when you show key tracker, you should see it somewhere. You can actually start testing this solution now with one marker as explained in Making a tracker section
4. Open Camera Markers Settings. Ensure you see camera preview.
5. When you show your tracker with two markers it will try to calibrate them. You can reset calibration with a button.
6. Do same for each pair of Key – Secondary marker for Tracker 0 and Tracker 1
7. Last step is calibration. Perform manual calibration as on this video. I will add some more automation for release.
Driver4VR will remember those calibration so next time just start Driver4VR.
Don’t forget to show me how you made your trackers!
Greg2020-01-28 at 12:09 #13956omar guzmanParticipant
Wow just great2020-01-28 at 12:10 #13440saito197Participant
Hey Greg, quick question: is it possible to use markers with switch joycons to simulate positional hand tracking?2020-01-28 at 12:10 #13471PPingerParticipant
Nice Job, WOW!!! Can i use this for Hand Tracking too??2020-01-28 at 12:10 #13480KiraSenpaiParticipant
is there a way to use led stripes instead of these markers?2020-01-28 at 12:11 #13951GokuWorksParticipant
Can i use this to track Vr headset so i only need the PSMoveCam?2020-01-28 at 12:13 #13982
problem with leds is that i can’t effectively distinguish between left ,right and headset leds. there would have to be some assumptions about position so not sure how it will work.
yes. there will be also option for hand tracking. only not sure how well it will track head cause even small jitter might make bad experience.2020-02-05 at 08:01 #14046Bruno SerafimParticipant
Considering that this is better than kinect in the future, which one would weigh less on my pc? I would also like to know if it is possible to use 2 kinects at the same time or would you recommend using 2 pseyes?2020-02-06 at 12:24 #14050
i don’t remember exactly now but I think the numbers are close.
i am working now on support for 2 kinects and there will be also support for 2 ps eye cameras. it might also double cpu usage for each.2020-02-06 at 15:34 #14062Neko.Participant
Would this be possible to make a hip tracking belt with some qr codes on to register if u are laying on your side?2020-02-11 at 08:14 #14084BudgetVrParticipant
Download link not working2020-02-20 at 14:41 #14138
i fixed link. please reload page.
yes. hip tracking will be possible as well.
2020-04-08 at 08:29 #14473MedinekoParticipant
- This reply was modified 4 months, 2 weeks ago by Greg Driver.
Hey Greg, the link to the alpha versions seems to not be working again, can you fix it please? Im looking forward to try my ps eye camera!
I tried the normal version which apparently had camera marks but my camera would not be recognized for some reason, so I tried searching for this “alpha” version and couldn’t find it.
2020-05-05 at 11:35 #14878kondr1Participant
- This reply was modified 2 months, 4 weeks ago by Medineko.
How to use it for psvr head tracking?2020-05-06 at 00:32 #14881Caju_KnightParticipant
“Oops! That page can’t be found.”
The link to the alpha version not working.2020-05-06 at 14:59 #14886WeegeedayParticipant
for leds, you could use virtual trackers on psmove service, then those appar on driver4vr, and you can assign them to any tracker, you can also use the led tracking for the kinect.2020-05-09 at 05:11 #14919Jason RossParticipant
I’m not sure if you’re already on the case or unaware at the moment but the alpha link is still not working. Just thought I’d let you know since I’m really eager to try this out. Thank you.2020-05-15 at 23:57 #14982prosodyspeaksParticipant
link still dead i think? 🙁 i was justy about to print…
but it looks awesome and i’m already using D4VR successfully, thanks for all your work!2020-05-17 at 15:48 #15009prosodyspeaksParticipant
as i understand you no longer need the alpha – it’s included in the general release! just select camera markers in tracker list…2020-05-17 at 22:57 #15015Jason RossParticipant
Yes, you are correct. I forgot to update my reply. It’s available on the actual software now. Thank you for that.2020-05-24 at 08:39 #15086mrunkown420Participant
Hi Greg, is it possible use it as hand tracking?2020-05-28 at 22:26 #15119Cheolwoo LimParticipant
I printed one and it was 12.5cm each. but the size param only accepts integer value. can you fix it to float?2020-05-30 at 19:52 #15144dd dadParticipant
hi2020-06-03 at 15:31 #15159
i will make that float and also for head tracking and hand trakcing.
i am not sure if that will be good enough for head tracking honestly.
you can live when controller position is glitching but with head position glitching…
but we will see.2020-06-16 at 08:21 #15283Cheolwoo LimParticipant
1. Is there any plan about supporting multiple webcams?
It might be much easier compare to supporting multiple kinects issue.
…System resource usage matters, but it’s trivial.
2. I could not find vertical angle calibration. Is there a feature? or having any plan about it?2020-06-28 at 23:20 #15369Tomtom130405Participant
would be cool if you could d head tracking with this2020-07-07 at 00:01 #15411
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.